Sunday, September 28, 2008

Money!

From the day I set my eyes on Chinese money, I became overly drawn to world currencies. I love how they are all so different because they (the designers) come from different background and uprisings of minds.



The Chinese Currency is widly colorful. $1 USD is worth about 7 yuan. All currency is commonly called: renminbi (People's Money)

The dragon styled yuan is my favorite design.


Egyptian Money is very cool. I have always loved Egypt and this adds to the fascination.


This is the Thai Baht. The man on the bill is the Emperor (if that is what he is called). My aunt who is from Thailand, said that when she graduated from college with a Journalism degree she was given her diploma in the palace in his presence, but wasn't allowed to look at him and if she did she would have been killed. That's a big temptation, NOT!







And due to my love for Spanish I choose to lastly share the Mexican Peso. Nice variety of colors.



Modern USA is finally introducing colorful bills. Thank goodness too! I thought I was going to die of boredom when I went shopping.




2 comments:

Joe said...

What I like most about your blog Matt is it allows me to get inside you some.

By nature, you are somewhat reserved and humble. Unlike the "jock" personality that is in your face, you are off in the corner analyzing, observing, absorbing.

You're a feeler personality.

I've always told your dad that you and I are alike and your dad like my dad. It's very interesting.

My dad and I ALWAYS had a lot of tension. It is better now as long as I fly on his plane.

I appreciate that your dad encourages you. My dad never said I played drums good or never bad. He just didn't get involved.

Last time I visited you your dad took you to get a Spanish learning book to encourage your desire. He never questioned your desire, he just wanted to help the flame.

My dad never did that in my life.

It is very rewarding for me to see you on fire about languages. I've said it before, but I cannot relate at all. Languages were my worst subject. But I think we both relate to a rhythm, for myself in music, and you in language.

Languages have a fascinating rhythm and beat. Some have a faster tempo, others a slower tempo.

Getting absorbed in the culture is the way to go. If you came out to visit, I would let you go to places that speak Spanish all day long. You could absorb the culture at Olviera Street in LA and speak Spanish.

Zoey has about four more hours before I say my final good-bye. I cried last night when I held her knowing it was our last night together. This is the hardest part of fostering!

ciao

Joe said...

I don't remember posting on this post...

I love this post...maybe my fav so far.

I have also been fascinated by money (bills & coins) of other lands. It's crazy...so much diversity.

I'd love to study more on the history and significance of each bill's image.

Maybe I should start with the American bills first...