Monday, November 17, 2008

New China!

My Chinese teacher Mr. Li called me on Saturday night and asked me to work at the Chinese restaurant he helps run. He works 3 days a week there and I will too. I will work Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday from 5-8pm at $8 an hour. I get 50% of the tips which is like $3 or $5 but it's money! So I get around $10 an hour with the tips added. Not bad...

My first night was this Sunday and it was fun! The lady's English isn't the best. She says that wrong word or doesn't understand what I'm saying and tells me the wrong things and then blames me for screwing up. "Your teacher even knows this..." she explains. "But you are new and I won't fire you!" I was like gheeez.. thanks a lot lady. I don't know what it is but she thinks I'm a little slow or something. She added, "In a few weeks if you can remember the cash register you can learn to put the Chinese food into bags for to go order". I just thought to myself, "Oh man, this lady is nuts or she thinks I am". It's like talking to a person who listens to every other word but she got a lot better at the end of the night. They aren't very electronical at all and don't believe that "void" means you void the transaction and not the whole entire machine! I just laughed inside and was silent.

Here are some pictures of the place. :) Enjoy

P.S: These were all taken with my phone so they are bad quality.






There names are the following (one family): Jim(Dad), Karen(Mom), & Wendy (in kindergarten). Wendy is in the background you can see her head.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Did u quit Walgreens?

If so, that was a quick change!

Glad for you...this is like learning Spanish here in CA and moving to Van Nuys! Well, most anywhere actually in the Valley and LA.

The money is a bonus...absorb the culture and learn the language from the inside-out.

Thank the Lord for this...He's letting You know He likes your desires. JMO

I'm proud of you Matt!

PS--Keep the pics and stories coming!! Love the work related customer service stories. I was a waiter in Indiana...I got the stories as well.

Matthew Soren! said...

no I didn't quit. I work at Walgreens on Monday mornings, and Friday and Saturday nights..