Wednesday, November 12, 2008

University

I've been investigating college things over in Chengdu, China. SCU or Sichuan University seems to be the best college in Chengdu because it is the province's college. It would be like Florida State University or something like that.

I messaged a few people on myspace that attend the college and they seem very nice and happy to help. They say that foreigners who know little Chinese attend the school and manage. "Study hard and the immersion of the Chinese language will come into play" seems to be the theme. That was my intent so I'm not worried about it.

I printed the application and physical forms from the website and it costs 17,500 RBM each academic year. That's $2,500 USD a YEAR! That's extremely cheap! Renting a room is 20 ($3) RBM a dasy for a bed in a two bed room or 40 RBM ($6) a day for a single bed room. I don't know what I'd want to do. I think that having a roommate would be fun, especially if they are Chinese.

There are better universities around China, but I have no idea where I should be. I keep getting pointed towards Chengdu so that's the idea basis for now but things could be different. There is Peking University near Bei Jing, a University near Shang Hai, or a Honk Kong University..

What to choose..

3 comments:

Joe said...

When u throw your grad cap in the air, what do you want to walk away with?

What education do you actually want to possess?

Forget all the fellowship, friends, fun stuff...that's very important, but you could get that elsewhere...what education/skills do you want?

Matthew Soren! said...

Fluency in Chinese.

I want an education that equips me to learn languages.

I want to be able to speak Chinese fluently and possibly a few other language if I can study them as well. I want to be able to understand the foundation for most languages which would enable me to learn them with much wisdom.

Joe said...

Good answer!

How old did you say you were!

Here's some perspective MB/M--whatever your last name is...pick one.

I'd say you are ahead of 85% of the males your age right now, and eventually will be in the 90+% before 25.

When you get bummed in life, do me a favor. Take a public bus.

After a few hours on a public bus in Nashville, you should realize your blessing and regrasp perspective. (regarsp should be a word)

I need to do this myself again.

Best word you used...not, knowledge, but wisdom.

There are brilliant kids you age that design website and program..but use it for ill-gotten gains of the flesh.

They have the knowledge, but lack the wisdom and therefore their efforts are in vain, and are causing others to stumble along the way.

What I dig the most about your heart right now is respecting the cultures you are absorbing...not just [taking their language] for your own purposes.

God will no doubt use your love of language and art together Matt. It's exciting to see...pumps me up.